Sunday, September 28, 2008

Versatile Soup Bases


Watkins Soup and Gravy bases are among the products on sale in October. If you've never tried any of the Watkins Soup and Gravy bases, you need to! They might look similar to any old can of soup, but these are NOT the same as typical condensed soup that makes one or two servings. These are dry mixes, that make up to 50 servings or more. So they are very economical. Plus, they have so many uses for flavoring all kinds of dishes other than soup and gravy.

Watkins Soup and Gravy Base flavors:
Beef
Cheese
Chicken
Cream
Mexican
Mushroom
Onion
Six Onion

And these two Gourmet Gravy Bases
Country Gourmet
Roasted Turkey

Additionally, Baked Potato Soup is part of this year's Seasonal Favorites line.

Here is how associates and cutomers use these bases:

  • I don't make much soup, so this may sound strange, but my favorite Watkins cooking products are the soup bases. I use them for so many things, sprinkling on chicken when I bake it, simmering it with rice, tossing it in with roasted potatoes. The uses are endless, and the results make the simplest dish seem like you really know what you're doing.
  • I love the Chicken Soup mix! It got my kids to eat veggies after my mother-in-law used it in the cooking water.
  • One of my favorite products is the Beef Soup Base. Before trying this product my children would not eat roast and after several days we would have to throw away left overs. Now we're lucky to get one meal out of a roast with my kids.
  • The Mushroom Soup Base is a huge time saver for making homemade speghetti sauce. Instead of cooking my sauce of hours I now add a few tablespoons of Mushroom Soup Base. It thickens my sauce and adds a lovely light mushroom flavour that even my picky step-daughter can deal with.

  • My single most favorite product is the onion soup. I like being able to fix a cup of good soup instantly. My favorite soup is a pack of ramen noodles (throw away their seasonings), some pepperoni (turkey is best, less fat) and two teaspoons of the onion soup. It's delicious and ready in a couple of minutes.
  • I take a bag of frozen green beans or green peas and I mix in 1 Tbsp of butter/margarine, 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, 1 Tbsp splenda (or sugar if you prefer), a couple shakes of Garlic Liquid Spice, 2 Tbsp of water and 2 Tbsp of the Six Onion Soup base, then microwave for about 5 minutes, and sprinkle with Minced Green Onion right before serving.
  • We have a customer who's step-dad recently had part of his tongue amputated due to cancer. Due to the chemo, his taste buds are about shot. My customer said that she needs more Beef Soup base, that she is almost out. You see, the only thing that the family found that "dad" will eat is our Watkins Beef Soup Base, because, it is the only thing that he can taste and he LOVES the flavor.

  • I just returned from a Good Tastings party and I made a Six Onion Cheese Ball, What a hit! Everyone loved it. I have also tried the Six Onion Mashed Potatoes and are those yummy! (Six Onion Cheeseball recipe). Choose Recipes - Appetizers.
Product Tips:

  • You can find other great recipes for the Soup and Gravy bases by going to Watkins Online, then click Recipes (in the left-hand column), and use the Recipe Search box to enter the item number of a Soup or Gravy flavor (for example, 21175 for Beef or 21176 for Chicken).

  • If a recipe calls for a "cream" soup, like cream of mushroom or cream of chicken, just whip up one of the Watkins bases according to the "gravy" directions, which would typically be about the same consistency as a cream-style soup.

No comments :